Nothing is as shocking as getting into the shower on a cold winter morning and being hit by a blast of frigid water because your hot water heater isn’t working. The way in which a water heater operates is fairly simple. There are very few things that can go wrong or malfunction. As cold water enters the insulated tank, a gas burner or electric element heats the water and causes pressure to build inside the tank as it becomes increasingly warmer. So, when you turn the hot water on, the pressure forces it out of the tank until it flows from the faucet.
What are the 2 main Types of Water Heaters?
The two main types of water heaters are electric and gas. The electric version heats water using coils or electric elements whereas the gas version works by using a gas flame. Although both versions cost about the same to repair and have about the same lifespan, the installation and replacement costs for a gas model will be higher than that of an electric model. However, gas models are more energy-efficient compared to their electric counterparts.
How much does it cost to repair a Water Heater?
There are 3 factors that influence the cost of repairing a water heater – the type of water heater, the issue or problem with it, and the plumber you have repairing it. At Anytime Plumbing of Santa Cruz we offer some of the most competitive hot water heater repair rates in the industry. Here is a breakdown of those 3 factors:
- The type of water heater – there are two main types of electric and gas water heaters, namely tank or tankless. Depending on the problem, the average cost to repair a tank water heater ranges from about $200 to $375 or more while the cost to repair a tankless model can run from $350 to $1,200.
- The issue or problem – the cost to repair an electric or gas water heater depends on what’s wrong with it. Some repairs may take longer to complete and some require more expensive parts. If your water heater is under warranty, this may reduce the repair cost. The general rule of thumb is that most repairs will be covered for the first year while in some cases, certain ones will be covered for up 5 years. You might want to check the warranty before buying it.
- The plumber that repairs it – most plumbing services will charge a service fee to come out to your home and diagnose what’s wrong with your water heater. Fees can range from $50 to $100. However, some companies will waive that fee if you hire them to do the work. Furthermore, some plumbing contractors will charge by the hour while others charge a flat fee or rate.
Most Santa Cruz plumbing contractors like Anytime Plumbing will provide a FREE estimate of the repair costs. In any event, it’s always a good idea to get an estimate in writing to ensure you’re charged what you were quoted. This builds goodwill and eliminates any hidden charges. We like to be honest about our charges and work so you can be sure that you are getting premium work at competitive prices.
What are the most common Water Heater Problems?
The capacity of a standard tank type water heater ranges from a constant 30 to 80 gallons. For the most part, these appliances are very durable and reliable. However, in some instances, they may have problems such as:
- an inadequate supply of hot water
- making strange noises
- not heating the water
- rusty or smelly water
- water leaking around the base of the water heater
You could experience any of the following issues or problems, depending on whether you have an electric or a gas water heater:
- Electric water heater repairs – bad or broken heating elements and thermostats are the most common repairs
- Gas water heaters – the most common repairs involve the gas control valve, pilot light, thermocouple, and thermostat
- Other repairs – certain elements often need replacing including anode rods, dip tubes, and pressure relief valves; flushing the tank as preventative maintenance
Why should I hire Anytime Plumbing?
We understand that you have a lot of choices when it comes to choosing a plumbing contractor in the Santa Cruz area. However, we pride ourselves on having the most competitive rates and offer the most extensive line of plumbing services in our industry. With most of our clients referring us, we add hundreds of new clients every year. This gives us immense pride that we are doing it right. If you are still looking for a plumbing service, contact us. To learn more about our company or to schedule a service call, call Anytime Plumbing of Santa Cruz today.