It’s never pleasant when you have to deal with sewer system backups. In fact, it is probably one of the least favorite tasks that homeowners have to tackle. Unfortunately, they can happen to anybody at any time. Thus, whenever you need help identifying the problem and taking care of it, the Anytime Plumbing experts have the experience and expertise to handle just about any septic and sewer problem you can throw at us. Rest assured, we are always prepared to take care of any plumbing issue, no matter what time or day or night that you need our services.
What causes sewer system backups?
While a clogged sewer line can be extremely frustrating, it’s amazing how long people will tolerate one before they finally realize that it’s time to call one of our sewer line specialists. All the while they ignore the fact that they are pouring things down their drains on a regular basis such as:
- detergents, shampoos, and soaps
- strands of hair
The combination of all these are the perfect recipe for clogged pipes and sewer lines. However, if you know what’s causing your sewer system backups, it’s easier to decide whether you can fix it or if you need to call Anytime Plumbing. The 3 most common drain and sewer line problems that we can fix include:
- Broken, collapsed, or cracked sewer lines – if you live in an older home, your problem may be a broken, collapsed, or cracked sewer line. Although newer lines are constructed using PVC pipe, aging sewer lines were originally built using cast iron or clay pipes. Both of these can break down over time and create problems.
- Clogged sewer lines – sewer lines can clog just like drain pipes. If it’s a specific shower, sink, toilet, or tub, the problem may be localized. However, if every flush of your toilet creates a sewage backup, then you have a bigger problem. Fortunately, most sewer system backups can be prevented by using your drains properly and having regularly scheduled preventative maintenance.
- Tree roots in your sewer line – this is one of the most common causes of sewer line problems, especially in older homes. Even if there are no trees near your sewer line, a wandering tree root from your neighbor’s yard can do some serious damage to the line. Tree roots either break into the pipes, causing blockages and holes, or they can grow around the pipe, eventually crushing it.
What are the symptoms of a sewer system problem?
A sewage backup in your home can be your worst nightmare. It’s a disgusting mess, it smells terrible, and it poses serious health concerns. Unfortunately, you’re not always aware of the problem until the unthinkable happens. That’s when it’s time to contact Anytime Plumbing and inquire about sewer system backups. If you learn the following symptoms of such a problem, you can stop it in its tracks before it has a chance to get any worse:
- There is water pooling around the floor drain in your basement
- Water backs up from your showers, sink drains, or toilets
- You have multiple drains that are backing up
- You hear gurgling noises in the drain or toilet
- You smell sewage coming from different drains and/or outside near the house
- You’re having issues with different drains when flushing the toilet
Remember, the savvy homeowner will recognize these symptoms of sewer system backups and act quickly before the problem worsens.
How much does it cost to repair sewer backups and clogs?
When items that are not “sewer-friendly” flushed down the toilet or poured down the drain, you often get backed up or clogged sewer lines. Whether it’s detergents, grease, and other debris or encroaching tree roots, the average cost to repair a backed up or clogged sewer line is around $550. Factors that come into play include:
- accessibility and location of the blockage
- emergency charges (if applicable)
- necessity of sewer line repair or replacement
- plumbing contractor’s hourly rate
- severity of the clog
The best way to avoid sewer system backups and the costly repair bills that accompany them is to be proactive about what your flush down your toilets and pour in your drains.
Additionally, as the top listed plumbing service in the city, we offer 24/7 emergency services to ensure that you are not left with the sewer system backups at any time.
Most importantly, sign up for an Anytime Plumbing preventative maintenance plan at your earliest convenience. We’ll send out a plumber on a monthly or quarterly basis, as per the schedule you choose to check on the plumbing system.
For additional information on the duration and cost of the sewer line blockages and clogs removal services, please contact us today.